Job Title: Quality Assurance Technician
Job Title: Quality Assurance Technician
Reports to: Operations Services & Innovation Manager
OVERVIEW & JOB SUMMARY
Under direct and general supervision as a member of the Operations Services & Innovation team, the Quality Assurance Technician protects and enhances the integrity of the Dr. Bronner’s brand through QA laboratory testing, systems and database development, raw materials and finished goods evaluation, SOP writing, root cause investigation support, and product and process innovation. The QA Technician participates as an active Operations Services & Innovation team member, providing technical support to ongoing team-wide efforts and company special projects as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Raw Material & Finished Goods Quality Assurance:
- Collect and prepare samples of raw materials, WIP, and finished goods; facilitate testing at third-party labs and/or perform laboratory testing in-house
- Manage database for tracking quality information, enter quality data; perform statistical analysis on trends over time; prepare charts and tables to share with management, suppliers, consultants, and/or customers as needed.
- Manage quality equipment and data capture for vegetable oil refining and bar soap base;
- Provide support for food grade virgin coconut oil quality assurance: Improve VCO quality database, perform data entry, sample preparation, and provide releases for production or sale. Liaise with supplier, filler, and consultants regarding data, claims, issues, and trends over time as needed.
- In-House Laboratory Services:
- Perform and/or support soap fragrance tests, oil clarity tests, and any other lab testing of raw materials, WIP, or finished goods as needed, including microbiological, chemical, organoleptic or otherwise;
- Ensure supplies are in stock for in-house laboratory functions;
- Manage relationships with third-party labs: research new labs for new testing as needed, establish terms with any new labs.
- Provide QC & QA Support to OSI
- Participate in team-wide root cause investigations, analysis, inspections and reporting as claims and complaints arise.
- Other duties as assigned within job scope.
A key member of the Operations Services & Innovation Team. In addition, this position will also interact closely with the Chief Operating Officer, Plant Operations Manager, Production Supervisor, Production Administration team, Marketing team, Sales & Customer Service teams, Logistics Manager, and key warehouse workers.
None at this time.
Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Science, or related field, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
3+ years’ experience in a laboratory.
3+ years’ experience in a quality assurance role at a third-party certified facility.
Professional quality certifications (e.g. ASQ, Six Sigma, etc.)
Experience at HACCP and/or ISO certified operations.
Organic food and/or personal care industry experience.
Experience working in both the U.S. and in developing countries.
Working knowledge of Sage MAS 100 ERP or other comparable double-entry based ERP/MRP system.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Extremely organized with outstanding attention to detail;
Top-tier customer service skills and problem-solver attitude;
Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate constructively with a wide range of diverse colleagues and stakeholders;
Demonstrated ability to advance new processes and compliance systems in a fast-paced and casual culture;
Work always with spirit of resilience, flexibility, enthusiasm, urgency, and cooperation;
Possess and maintain the desire to create impact through creativity, innovation, persistence, and feedback;
Ability to take direct feedback and instructions, as well as work independently and as part of a team.
Ability to reason and analyze, to multi-task in an efficient, thorough, and prioritized manner, to work quickly, accurately and independently, and to anticipate needs and solve problems;
Fluent in English with ability to correspond with a high degree of professionalism in verbal and written communication;
Maintain a high degree of confidentiality over all matters in the course of business operations and employee information;
Intermediate/advanced skills in Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, Visio, and Internet search.
Preferred: Bilingual: English and Spanish.
Tools and Equipment Used
Computer, label printing system, limited lab equipment, and standard office equipment.
Must have reliable transportation and possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license including proof of personal vehicle insurance coverage and insurability under the Company’s insurance carrier standards.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to
Performs work in climate controlled office and laboratory settings, occasional warehouse work
Sits, stands, walks, reaches above and below shoulder heights, climbs stairs, bends and stoops, crawls, kneels and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance requiring use of both arms and legs frequently.
Frequent interruptions and work under pressure of time with multiple priorities.
Occasionally lifts, carries and balances objects weighing up to 35 pounds.
Pulls and pushes such objects as file drawers, loaded carts, pallet jack, computers and similar office equipment and supplies.
Prioritizes and multi-tasks work and projects requiring good memory, concentration and analytical thinking.
Occasionally is required to perform the safe operation of a vehicle, office equipment and machines, and recognize and abate safety hazards within the workplace.
Frequently work alone but is occasionally required to interact or perform and communicate with others.
Must be able to smell, hear, see including distinction of colors, read and communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent socio-economic backgrounds and origins.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, and hearing of normal conversation is required.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If you require any accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us with the “Need Help” button in the online application.
Please apply here: https://www.fitzii.com/apply/13085?s=bc