Job Title: Account Manager - Finance
Next Street: Where teamwork and entrepreneurship meet
Next Street is a for-profit firm founded to enable growth of high-performing, high-potential small and mid-size enterprises in a challenging and stimulating environment. Our clients are successful businesses and nonprofits with annual revenues up to $100 million, as well as the anchor institutions, social investors, foundations, and government agencies that foster economic development in our cities and underserved communities. Through our work, we have a direct impact on wealth-creation and employment in America’s cities.
With offices in Boston, New York City and Chicago, Next Street provides a unique mix of integrated advisory services in strategy, finance, operations, and organizational effectiveness. We connect the dots at every level, and across multiple industries and geographies, to create a network that advances business growth and economic development. We are a for-profit B Corporation, and were named a “2014 Best of the Best for Community Impact” by B Lab.
We look for professionals who combine significant experience in their fields with a passion for building successful, high-impact organizations in underserved markets: people who love cities, love business, and thrive on challenge. Next Street offers our team members an unparalleled opportunity to work at the intersection of “doing well and doing good,” having the potential to meaningfully impact organizations and their communities on a daily basis. We are committed to providing our professionals with development across areas of expertise, and advancement based on individual goals and performance.
NYC Business Solutions Centers
For the last four years, Next Street has operated the NYC Business Solutions, Lower Manhattan Center, a brick-and-mortar facility, which is funded by the NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS). Each Center works with entrepreneurs and small business owners at various stages of company development, from newly launched to established businesses. In January 2016, we added a second Center in Queens to our portfolio. Through the Centers, Next Street offers an array of business planning, financial, workforce training, recruitment, M/WBE certification, and other services to NYC entrepreneurs and small businesses. Each year the Centers see an average of 3,200 businesses providing them with over 4,500 services. Under Next Street's leadership, we have facilitated 840 loans for businesses, helping them access 382 approvals at over $26 million in financing through our lending partners, and helped more than 1,000 businesses source over 3,000 employees, dramatically impacting job growth in their communities. The Centers have also helped over 100 minority and woman-owned businesses apply for M/WBE Certification with the City of New York.
The NYC Business Solutions team is an extension of our Client Solutions unit and plays a pivotal role in helping to establish our presence and influence in New York City’s Small Business ecosystem. Whether working with small businesses and non-profits or large institutions and government and economic development organizations, we deliver solutions to clients that advance organizations’ strategy, growth, capacity, and impact. As part of our team, you will work closely with our Firm’s leadership, general delivery, and Corporate teams to ensure that the services delivered by the Center have a lasting impact and establish a long term relationship with our Firm.
Next Street is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual to serve as an Account Manager of the NYC Business Solutions, Queens Center which is operated by Next Street.
The Account Manager will be responsible for performing their day-to day duties while pacing towards the Center’s goals, and will report to Next Street’s Director of the NYC Business Solutions, Queens Center.
- Deliver the NYC Business Solutions set of services to businesses to ensure the Queens BSC is regularly exceeding goals set by NYC Department of Small Business Services and Next Street leadership
- Engage with a wide range of small businesses to understand their needs and make recommendations for the types of resources and services the City can provide these businesses to help them be successful
- Use a relationship driven approach to maintaining long-term relationships with high potential, scaling business clients
- Serve as the Center’s financial expert on securing capital for clients from various sources
- Develop and analyze clients financial documents ; provide insight and guidance
- Serve as a connector for clients to financial providers and lenders
- Drive business development and marketing efforts to attract, cultivate and retain clients as well as other key stakeholders
- Create, support and implement the team’s business development plans; monitor and analyze those activities in CRM
- Provide instruction to clients via regularly scheduled workshops
- Respond to all customer inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner, in accordance with quality assurance best practices and Center standards
- Perform prompt data entry after service delivery
- Provide feedback to team members, the Center Director, Next Street management and SBS on an ongoing basis in order to improve the system’s ability to achieve outcomes and provide high-quality services
- Engage community-based organizations, community boards, Business Improvement Districts, and other relevant stakeholders in the interest of engaging businesses and improving the access that they have to support services
- Collaborate across Next Street offices and communities of practice to ensure our client’s strategic, financial, and organizational needs are met and small development learnings are shared
- Attend morning, evening, and weekend events, as necessary, in the interest of strengthening partnerships and business development efforts
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience working with entrepreneurs and small business owners on banking, finance or lending
- Possess a good understanding of the small business landscape in New York City
- Proven analytical, written, and oral communication
- Experience developing and analyzing business financials
- Proficiency in evaluating clients loan readiness and recommending funding options
- Ability to review loan applications and documentation for clients; inform clients of additional requirements
- Capacity to create and cultivate business development leads
- A strong belief in the potential of small businesses and the value of understanding their needs and helping them to succeed.
- Solid work ethic and high level of professional integrity.
- Demonstrated knowledge of small business assistance and business support programs in New York City.
- Experience using customer relationship management tools or other database systems in order to track and manage services and outcomes.
- Ability to manage towards goals in order to ensure the successful achievement of those goals by specific deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in both a team and individual setting.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Flexible, adaptable, customer-focused, and goal-oriented with a commitment to high standards of excellence.
- A strong analytical and critical thinking skill set
- The ability to think innovatively and generate new ideas that can translate directly into results.
- A willingness to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.